Saturday 9 May 2015

Prawn pad Thai omelette

Recipes don't always go to plan

I'm trying to keep motivated and be healthy by only eating things I actually want to eat and rather than depriving myself - just making better choices. As it's a weekend, it means I can actually cook something for lunch, rather than buy a sandwich or bring something to work that I'd prepared beforehand.

Today was 'prawn pad Thai omelette' a recipe I found in a BBC Good Food Magazine a while ago - It looks amazing, no?

It was easy to do... I had to make the sauce which was (for 2 people):

1 tsp tamarind paste
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp caster / palm sugar (either is fine)
1/4 tsp shrimp paste

I then grated an inch of ginger, half a red chilli and a garlic clove and left them on the side.

I then cut up a raw carrot, 1/4 of a cucumber, 3 spring onions length ways, half a pepper and got some frozen prawns out of the freezer.

So...got a pan and some spray oil.... chucked in the pepper and the ginger / chilli and garlic and fried it for about 3 minutes. I then chucked in the prawns and the sauce and once I'd fried them for another 2 minutes, added 50 grams of beansprouts and merrily tossed everything about for another 2 minutes.

Once done, I popped it all on a plate, then got 2 eggs, whisked them around and put them in the same frying pan to make the pancake - once it was cooked, I took the pancake out, popped it on a plate and put the cooked mixture on top and sprinkled with peanuts.

Yeeeeaaaaah.

Not exactly the same as the picture!

Where did I go wrong? Well... I thought I had halved the recipe as it was for 2 people and there's just me - However I think I overdid it on the raw veg. 

Secondly - I didn't whisk the eggs enough, which meant there were patches of yellow and patches of white - this proved very tricky to actually lift it from the pan!


Despite this - I have to be honest - It actually tasted really nice and the sauce was lovely - I won't give up on this recipe, I'll just need to try and get the amounts correct and try again - either way, it was pretty healthy so better than buying a sandwich :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment