Wednesday 27 May 2015

Low fat rhubarb pudding

I do have a rather sweet tooth, but don't want to over indulge too often

My Mother has a rather big garden and grows lots of stuff. She then fails to use it all up and gives it to whoever wants it. When I saw her last week, she mentioned she had loads of rhubarb and would I like some? I really like rhubarb (at least, I do in crumbles!) so thought I'd try and do some other things with rhubarb and take it off my Mothers hands.

After scouring the internet for 'low fat rhubarb recipes', I've come to the conclusion, that there doesn't seem to be many - They say they're low fat or low calorie, but I think that's rather subjective - I mean, who things 350 calories or 20g of fat is 'low'???? Anyway, After thinking about it, maybe going back to basics is best? So, I decided to roast it with some sugar.

I also thought I'd find something to accompany it. I could use low fat custard, however that's a bit of a faff as I don't own a microwave, so I thought I'd give this 'low fat yoghurt' a go.... I've never had low fat yoghurt - or if I have, it can't have been a very memorable experience. However finding it in the freezer isle of the Supermarket and seeing it was very low in fat / calories per portion, I thought it would make a perfect friend for my roasted rhubarb.

My recipe? Well, it couldn't be more simple. 

1. Wash rhubarb to ensure there's no dirt or bird poop on it.
2. Cut it into small chunks
3. Arrange on tray, sprinkling some caster sugar over it.
4. Roast for 15 minutes under foil at about 180C (fan) then uncover and cook for a further 5 minutes.
5. Take out, pop on plate and serve with something low fat and yummy.

You might be tempted to make it more healthy by not adding sugar - don't. I tried it.. and it's way too tart for me and quite frankly, not very enjoyable. Each to their own, but for me, it's about genuinely enjoying what I'm putting in my body. Plus, sugar isn't 'evil', it's just a bit silly to eat it in excess.

I only used this bowl as I don't have any small ones - it looks a bit pathetic in this big bowl, but honestly, it was lovely - Approx 94 calories and 1g of fat per portion (plus whatever you're serving it with), it's a rather nice pudding which you don't have to feel guilty about.



No comments:

Post a Comment